Kitely Mentors Group Meeting, 27 Feb 2013: summary

Post by Marstol Nitely »

Attending meeting:
Ada Radius
Christy Cooper
Ilan Tochner
Marstol Nitely
The Watcher

The Watcher and Christy Cooper talked a little about their coding and the advanced NPC’s she makes. They offered to contribute code to Kitely and Ilan suggested that they contribute it to OpenSim so that it can become part of the standard that everyone benefits from. Ada Radius is working hard to transfer 100s of avatars/skins to add to the Kitely Marketplace.

Ilan answered The Watcher’s question about whether there would be extra charges for HyperGrid inventory transfers. Ilan answered that items will be bought for the Kitely avatar then delivered in a separate transaction to third-party grids. There will probably be a charge for the delivery. Merchants will decide whether to charge more for product variations that have the Export permission. For shoppers from third party grids, their Kitely avatar inventory will work like a backup for their purchases.

Following user feedback, the Kitely team will delay working on the marketplace for a short time, while they implement a limited version of the Kitely Transfer Stations. They will be creating three transfer stations, one for each maturity rating. Each such transfer station will be shared by all the people with the same maturity rating that are in the process of logging into the Kitely grid to a world that is currently inactive. Once their destination worlds finish the activation process the people waiting for the worlds to be ready will be automatically teleported to them. The transfer stations will not be used by logged in users who are teleporting between worlds. Users will not be able to manually teleport into a transfer station or remain in one after their destination world is active.

The stations will enable the Kitely Plugin to launch the viewer immediately when people press Enter World buttons. It will enable those using manual viewer logins to login immediately without hitting the Enter World buttons. This is meant to reduce the amount of time people spend waiting before they are in world and active and should also simplify the login process for people who don’t use the Kitely Plugin.

More work will be done on the transfer stations after the marketplace is up and running. Eventually Kitely will enable having a transfer station per world. When that happens, only people heading to the same world will wait together in a transfer station. Transfer stations will also be used when Kitely enables HyperGrid access and people try to HyperGrid teleport into a Kitely world that is offline.

When Kitely enables HyperGrid access, world managers who want to open a world to HyperGrid access will have the option of using that world’s Access tab to add HyperGrid Visitors as an access authorized group.

While Kitely will make every attempt to ensure children are safe while using Kitely, parents must be vigilant as well. “Anyone who has children in-world, would be wise to keep their playground locked up,” said Ilan.

There was some discussion about how Kitely verifies if someone is a child or an adult when they join Kitely. While Kitely can’t verify whether someone is a child or an adult, the site does use a self-reported DOB (date of birth) to lock in a max account maturity rating (this hidden value can’t be changed once set).

For example, a parent could create their child's account, go to the Settings page, and attempt to change the account's maturity rating to Adult. This will prompt the user to provide a DOB. Once one is provided for the child, the maturity rating will be maxed out at the level the DOB permits. Any future attempt to change to a higher maturity rating will fail until the DOB-derived age allows for it.

Kitely hopes to open the marketplace in April, but with the development time of extra features, it may be delayed for a short period. The transfer stations should be open at the end of next week or the following week - around the same time as Kitely Plaza opens. There was mention of how great the Kitely Plaza updates Bladyblue Bommerang posted on the forums look.

Kitely will be changing the default Kitely grid password for new users who create an email/password based account to be the same as their Kitely account password by default to reduce confusion. People will still be able to define them separately if they prefer (this is done in the Settings page).

When Ada Radius decided to look for something outside of SL, she researched Kitely and other grids’ TOS. “Yours won hands down” said Ada. It was Kitely’s “attention to security and no claim on anything we make here,” that won Ada over.
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post (total 5):
Ilan TochnerDot MacchiAdagio GreenwoodConstance PeregrineGraham Mills
Ilan Tochner

Re: Kitely Mentors Group Meeting, 27 Feb, 2013: summary

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Thank you for writing up the summary Marstol :-)
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 2):
Adagio GreenwoodMarstol Nitely
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Excellent summary, Marstol. Thank you.

It's very good to hear more news about transfer stations and steps towards Hypergrid connectivity. Thank you, Ilan and Oren, for taking this small diversion from the marketplace preparations. It must be difficult juggling so many different aspirations and priorities.
These users thanked the author Dot Macchi for the post (total 2):
Adagio GreenwoodMarstol Nitely
Constance Peregrine

Post by Constance Peregrine »

ok..this transfer station thing

I read it a couple of times and I am not sure I see how I would like this. I see how ppl from sl might but I don't need it, nor am i sure we ALL need it.

Can you add a setting in the website tools to opt out please? ty for your consideration
Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!
My little sounds store https://www.kitely.com/market?store=2040306

Ephemeral wanderer...
Dot Macchi

Post by Dot Macchi »

Minethere, the transfer stations will help those of us trying to organise group activities.
Constance Peregrine

Dot Macchi wrote:Minethere, the transfer stations will help those of us trying to organise group activities.
yes, i grasp the need for some and of course do not know what all everyone may want them for...that wasn't my request...but ty tho-))

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Minethere,

Transfer stations make is easier and faster to log into Kitely, they have no effect on you if you're already logged into the Kitely grid. In other words, if you are in one world and wish to teleport to another world that is currently offline then you'll get a viewer message and be automatically teleported to your world once it is ready. You won't pass through a transfer station after you're already inworld, it will only be used as a type of grid login portal when you login (not teleport from another Kitely world) to a Kitley world that is still not ready to accept loggins.

The only change for you is that when you press the Enter World button and are not already logged into the Kitely grid, instead of staring at a world page waiting for your viewer to start your viewer will immediately be started and begin the login process. If the target world is already active by the time your viewer loads and finishes the grid login procedure then you'll log in directly into that world without going through a transfer station first. You'll only see a transfer station if the target world is taking a long time to start. You'll wind up in a kind of quick loading very low prim count grid portal world that will enable you to start answering IMs, organizing your inventory, etc. while you wait for the world to start.

Can you please elaborate on what you find undesirable in this change? How is waiting for our plugin to launch your viewer (or getting a message that you can now login if you're using the manual viewer login option) better than spending a shorter amount of time being actually logged in to a portal world?
Constance Peregrine

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Minethere,

Transfer stations make is easier and faster to log into Kitely, they have no effect on you if you're already logged into the Kitely grid. In other words, if you are in one world and wish to teleport to another world that is currently offline then you'll get a viewer message and be automatically teleported to your world once it is ready. You won't pass through a transfer station after you're already inworld, it will only be used as a type of grid login portal when you login (not teleport from another Kitely world) to a Kitley world that is still not ready to accept loggins.

The only change for you is that when you press the Enter World button and are not already logged into the Kitely grid, instead of staring at a world page waiting for your viewer to start your viewer will immediately be started and begin the login process. If the target world is already active by the time your viewer loads and finishes the grid login procedure then you'll log in directly into that world without going through a transfer station first. You'll only see a transfer station if the target world is taking a long time to start. You'll wind up in a kind of quick loading very low prim count grid portal world that will enable you to start answering IMs, organizing your inventory, etc. while you wait for the world to start.

Can you please elaborate on what you find undesirable in this change? How is waiting for our plugin to launch your viewer (or getting a message that you can now login if you're using the manual viewer login option) better than spending a shorter amount of time being actually logged in to a portal world?
Well, I really don't wish to step on any toes of the movers and shakers, really. I prefer goodwill to badwill...really...lol

I'll go to PM with you on this..ty-))

Ephemeral wanderer...
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Minethere,

I answered you PM but I don't think it included anything that couldn't have been stated in the forum as well. Nothing you wrote was offensive in any way. :-)
Constance Peregrine

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Minethere,

I answered you PM but I don't think it included anything that couldn't have been stated in the forum as well. Nothing you wrote was offensive in any way. :-)
got it, and ty...i just like to be as careful as I can since i do tend to gather unwanted troubles sometimes...lol

Ephemeral wanderer...