Kitely Mentors Group Meeting, 27 Feb 2013: summary

Provide feedback, criticism or praise about Kitely, or suggest new features
Graham Mills

Re: Kitely Mentors Group Meeting, 27 Feb, 2013: summary

Post by Graham Mills »

Ilan Tochner wrote:Hi Graham,

I think understand what you're asking for, it really has nothing to do with transfer stations but rather with having the ability to keep a world publicly accessible but not have it show in the Public Worlds page. Did I understand you correctly?
Yes, though from my perspective it's mitigating the effect of transfer stations.
Ilan Tochner wrote:If you set up an inworld group via the viewer and set access to your world using that group (in the Access tab of a world's Manage World dialog) then you'll be able to easily add additional people to that group using your viewer. Any person you add to such a group should gain immediate access to that world.
Yes, this is what I do now but adding avatars to groups is much easier inworld, especially if there are lots of them.

I will stop this exchange now. It is not urgent from my perspective so I am happy to wait for Stage B though I may return to the topic sometime in the future.
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

Hi Graham,

Just so I understand your concerns before we conclude this discussion, transfer stations don't appear in the Public Worlds page in any case so how does this mitigate their effect from your point of view?

A world that shows up in the Public Worlds page now (when transfer stations haven't been added yet) will show up in the exact same way once transfer stations are enabled. The opposite is also true, i.e. private worlds won't start appearing in the Public Worlds page and neither will their transfer stations (as the later never show in the Public Worlds page anyway).

In other words, how exactly is your request to hide public worlds from the Public Worlds page connected to transfer stations existing if transfer stations won't effect visibility on the Public Worlds page?
Graham Mills

Post by Graham Mills »

It's true that I don't like edu regions surfacing on the public lists like that anyway. Let's leave it at that.
Bladyblue Bommerang

Post by Bladyblue Bommerang »

Ilan Tochner wrote:If you're very worried about sharing spaces with strangers then you can log into an empty world you create. Empty worlds take less than 15 seconds to start so it's very likely you'll never see the insides of a transfer station that way, and even if you do it won't be enough time for people to even greet you (even if they happen to be in the same transfer station you pass through).
How does this work? If have a empty world as my start place and then how do get them to transfer to my real world?
Marstol Nitely

Post by Marstol Nitely »

Hi Bladyblue - I might not be the best person to answer this since I don't quite understand why one would create a world just for transfer, unless it's so they can sign up for the group? Anyway... Once you are in any Kitely world, you don't use the transfer stations any longer. You'd just wait for the next world your visiting to fire up. So you would transfer just like you do now. You could give them a link, have them teleport, give them a HUD with the places you want them to visit, etc. :D
These users thanked the author Marstol Nitely for the post:
Bladyblue Bommerang
Ilan Tochner

Post by Ilan Tochner »

I think everyone here needs to hold back on making plans for how they will bypass transfer stations until they actually see transfer stations in action. Sending someone to an empty world and forcing them to manually teleport to another destination is like using a broken transfer station that doesn't automatically send you to the desired world once it's ready. You also don't get the benefit of being able to log in directly into a world if it is already active.

Once stage B is implemented each world will have its own transfer station so people won't run into people who aren't headed to the same world. Even during stage A it is quite unlikely that you'll spend more than a minute with someone who is heading to another world and in most cases, when your destination world is inactive, you'll wait for your viewer to launch and log you into the transfer station, wait a few more seconds for the world to finish starting up and then be teleported to your destination.

The question of whether worlds appear on the public worlds page has nothing to do with this feature and isn't affected by it's implementation. That said, we'll consider adding an option to stop a publicly accessible world from appearing in the Public Worlds page.
These users thanked the author Ilan Tochner for the post (total 4):
Adagio GreenwoodMarstol NitelyConstance PeregrineBladyblue Bommerang